FOR YOUR SPIRITUAL RUSSELL COMMUNITY CHURCH
MAIN STREET
RUSSELL, MA. 01071
413-862-3341 (CHURCH)
413-862-4785 (PARSONAGE)
AND FELLOWSHIP NEEDS
HOME PAGE REV. METCALF SPECIAL MUSIC HISTORY NEWS LETTER WKLY SERVICE


russell methodist church

METHODIST CHURCH RUSSELL

(corner of Main Street and Old Westfield Road)

Russell Baptist Church

BAPTIST CHURCH RUSSELL

(taken before 1915)



The first Congregational Church of which any note is made was organized Nov. 1, 1800, by Rev. Joseph Badger, of Blandford. It had then 15 members, but did not seem to prosper during the subsequent thirty years of its existence. It was eventually dissolved in 1830. The Congregationalists and Methodists built a church in conjunction near the centre of the town, about 1820, and used it in common, under the name of the Union Society. The foundations of this structure, which was torn down in 1830, are still to be seen. After the dissolution of the Union Society, in 1830, the Methodists of Russell had no regular place of worship until 1869, when the present society was formed, and a very neat church building erected in the village of Russell. Rev. N. J. Merrill was the first pastor. The present pastor is Rev.Jimmy Metcalf. The congregation numbers 120 members.